The Sunblock Challenge is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting sunblock awareness during outdoor sporting activities. Our objective is to enjoy the sun and the outdoor recreational environment that we do every day in a responsible manner to keep our skin young, healthy, and cancer free.
SUNBLOCK CHALLENGE Rules:
In order to qualify for the prize, ALL anglers and crew must register with The Sunblock Challenge and pledge to abide by the recommendations to avoid sunburns and to utilize sun block. Sunburns on any angler and/or crew or captain will result in a disqualification. The prize will be awarded to the boat with the next biggest fish registered with The Sunblock Challenge.
To qualify, follow the Sunblock Challenge Pledge:
I Agree to:
- Not get sun burned
- Protect my skin and fellow anglers
- Wear sunblock and reapply every 2 hours
Recommendations For Sun Protection and Skin Cancer Prevention:
- Utilize sunblock with UVA/UVB protection minimum of SPF 30.
- Sunblocks with Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium dioxide offer better protection.
- Reapply every two hours. It is best to apply first thing in the morning before going out. The effectiveness of sunblock decreases with time and consequently reapplying every two hours will optimize and maximize your sun protection.
- Seek the shade whenever and wherever you can.
- Wear a wide brim hat or hats that cover the sides of the ears and back of the neck.
- Buff scarves while fishing are also beneficial to prevent reflection from the water.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Long sleeve shirts with special UV filters or sun shirts are recommended
- Avoid peak hours of the sun from 10 am -2pm. These are the most intense and require cautious monitoring to prevent sunburn. The above measures will help immensely.
- For fishing spray sunblocks are not recommended. They are generally not as effective because they do not contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. More importantly some contain dimethicone which can make a boat deck very slippery.